The Indian variety is harsh and has an ashy coating. Southeast Asian gourds have a peach fuzz-like hair covering.
Ash gourds

It is naturally a creeper. Bright yellow blossoms turn into ash gourds. This creeper’s leaves are 15cm tall. This melon’s juvenile flesh is round and tasty. A ripe ash gourd can be 30cm broad.

The Indian variety is harsh and has an ashy coating. Southeast Asian gourds have a peach fuzz-like hair covering. When they mature, wax replaces the hair. The term wax gourd comes from this. The sticky coating keeps the gourd fresh.


Nutritional Facts of Ash Gourd

Uncooked ash gourd has a nutrient content of:

Calories: 13 kcal

Carbohydrate: 4 g

Protein: 0.3 g

Ash: 0.3 g

Fat: 0.2 g

  • The water content of ash gourds is 96%. Some carbohydrates, proteins, and other nutrients make up the remaining 4%.
  • Dietary fiber is included in roughly 2.9 grams of this low-calorie veggie.
    In milligram amounts, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus are present.
  • The nutrient list includes trace amounts of iron, potassium, and zinc.
    A large amount of the necessary daily intake of vitamin C can be found in this product.
  • Antioxidant-rich ash gourds can be found in abundance. Antioxidant carotenoids and flavonoids are found in them. They help prevent heart disease and some forms of diabetes.

Let’s learn about the ash gourd’s health benefits.


Packed with nutrients

Ash gourd is high in fiber. In addition to minerals and vitamins including niacin, thiamine, vitamin C, and riboflavin, it is rich in manganese. Tannins, phenols, glycosides, alkaloids, and flavonoids are found in ash gourd.


Weight loss

Ash gourd’s low calorie, high dietary fiber, and water content make it ideal for weight loss. Its fiber content keeps you full and satisfied. Eating less helps reduce calorie intake and overeating.


Good for digestion

The ash gourd cools the body. It contains soluble fiber, which is good for our stomach. Soluble fiber supports good bacteria development, relieves indigestion, constipation, hemorrhoids, and keeps the colon healthy. Ash gourd is also used to treat hyperacidity, dyspepsia, and ulcers.


Boosts immunity

Some experts believe ash gourd possesses powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial qualities that can help improve the immune system.

To summarize, ash gourd is nutritious and beneficial for various diseases. It is easy to incorporate into the diet for health benefits. Some research suggests that ash gourd may assist diabetic patients to maintain healthy blood sugar levels. It is an anticoagulant and promotes healthy hair and skin. Because of its cooling effect on the body, those with sinusitis, colds, and asthma should avoid drinking ash gourd. They might take ash gourd with a herb or spice like black pepper to counteract the effect.



Ash gourd contains both salt and potassium, however, the potassium amount is far higher than the sodium content, making it a heart-healthy vegetable.


It helps to sharpen the mind

According to ancient Ayurvedic medicine, the ash gourd is extremely beneficial to our brain health, and it has been shown to improve memory and cognitive functioning. Ash gourd is high in folate, which is necessary for the prevention of birth abnormalities. Additionally, this vegetable helps to relax our minds and brains, as well as relieve tension.



Ash gourds have a low-calorie count but a high fiber content. Many Asian countries have long used it as a folk treatment. Ayurveda has recognized the medicinal properties of winter melon. Ash gourds are widely used in a variety of dishes in both Chinese and Indian cuisines.

Constipation, stomach ulcers, and other digestive problems can be helped by the high nutritional value of this food. Ash gourds can also help you lose weight. Infused with cooling properties, it soothes the body. The condition of your skin and hair is directly linked to the health of your inside organs.

Incorporating ash gourds into your dishes will add a nutritious touch. Low-calorie and tasteless, it’s sure to be good for you. The final line is that eating ash gourds regularly will improve your skin’s appearance and overall health.